Friday, March 13, 2009

Money from Canadian Revenue Agency

I think I'm lucky this year. I just received an e-mail from the Canada Revenue Agency telling me that I'm eligible for a tax refund of 386.00
Cool!!! .. but hey, I don't live in Canada, what is going on ?
The e-mail looks ok, as you can see below:

Canada Revenue Agency
Online Refund Form

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 386.00.

Please submit the tax refund and allow us 3-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Copyright Canada Revenue Agency. All rights reserved. www.cra-arc.gc.ca

As you can see in the screenshot, the website looks like the real one www.cra-arc.gc.ca



Now, the fake website for the online refund form is in Taiwan and last time I looked, Taiwan wasn't a part of Canada.

If we start analyzing we can see that this is just another case of identity theft. You have there the following elements:
Social Insurance Number, DOB(date of birth), and the Full Name.

So, unfortunatelly it's just a spam, it was too good to be true, maybe next time..

No comments:

Post a Comment